John E. Day Funeral Home was established in the latter part of 1932 in Red Bank, New Jersey by John E. Day. The first location was on the northeast corner of Broad Street and Harding Road, fronting on Broad Street.
John E. Day purchased the Milano restaurant building and property at 85 Riverside Avenue from Assunta Milano on June 7th. (This structure formerly stood on the east side of Riverside Avenue on the site now occupied by the Molly Pitcher Inn.) Renovations were made converting the first floor to a funeral home and the top two floors to a residence.
Additions were added to the structure to make the funeral home larger and more accommodating to our families.
In January 1958, the funeral home was purchased by Cy Sidun, son-in-law of John E. Day.
As business started to grow, plans were formulated to build a new structure to better facilitate our area families. In November, ground was broken and construction started on a completely new colonial style building. It was planned to continue the use of the old facilities until the new one was completed and ready for use. This was not to be.
Fire breaks out in the old building on February 27th leaving the old building useless. However, we did not miss a beat in continuing our service to our families. With the help and assistance of our good neighbor, Mr. Fred Adams, we were granted the use of his funeral home for a period of about five weeks while we located and prepared a temporary facility. This temporary facility was located at the corner of Pearl and Front Streets on property owned by Schwartz Auto Agency. This particular building was the former Mount Funeral Home.
Our new building was completed in October, and we moved in immediately. These new facilities offered us three chapels and a parking lot for fifty-plus cars. The Red Bank area accepted this new facility very well and our business trends started to grow rapidly.
Cy's son, Charles Sidun, joined our staff.
Cy's son, Douglas Sidun, joined our staff.
We continued to operate with three Siduns (Cy, Chuck and Doug) until October 1986, when Chuck and Doug Sidun purchased the funeral business and took over its operation.
We acquired the Bedle Funeral Homes in Keyport and Matawan.
Cy's son, Ted Sidun, joined our staff. We acquired the Braun Funeral Home in Eatontown.
Cy's son, Drew Sidun, joined our staff.
We acquired the former First Fidelity Bank Building. Renovations began to convert this building into the Family Center.
The Sidun family proudly hosted a grand opening of their new Family Center located at 33 Allen Place, Red Bank, one half block away from the John E. Day Funeral Home. The Family Center is exclusively dedicated to at-need and pre-need funeral conferencing. It offers the grieving family a private setting apart from visitations or funeral services, which are held at the funeral home.
The fully handicap accessible building offers three conference rooms and a display room for cremation and burial caskets, urns, and vaults.
1997 to Present
John E. Day Funeral Home joined Carriage Services, a company of select funeral homes and cemeteries that specialize in personal and meaningful tributes. As our mission statement states, we are committed to being the most professional, ethical, and highest quality funeral and cemetery service organization in our industry. To achieve our mission we adhere to the following guiding principles:
Today, as the leaders in funeral service, we are committed in assisting your family with honoring the achievements of your loved one and celebrating the life you shared together.
John E. Day- 1932
John E. Day Funeral Home- 1932
John E. Day- Service Vehicle 1945
Cy Sidun- 1968
Ted Sidun- 2001